Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews
Extensive comparative analyses of modern LED flashlights
My goal is to provide objective testing results, in a readable form, to let you decide what flashlight best fits your needs. My reviews are posted on candlepowerforums, to facilitate ongoing discussions with the user community.
My flashlights are expensive to feed with all the runtime tests I perform, so I gratefully accept donations to my Paypal battery fund.
Flashlight Resources See my Testing Methods for further resources
Video overviews of each of my flashlights, plus additional background primers.
Overview of the ANSI/NEMA standard for flashlight testing (FL-1).
My lightbox design, and how I have calibrated it for estimated lumens.
Overview of all my recent outdoor 100-yard beamshots.
Terms and Conditions
REVIEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Most of my flashlight reviews have been based on samples provided directly by a manufacturer or dealer for review.
My criteria for all reviews are similar to what Doug Pribis developed for his excellent flashlightreviews.com site when he was actively reviewing lights. If I agree to review your light, here are my Review Terms and Conditions:
- The review will be published on the internet. The choice of forums and sites is up to me, and the review will be linked to the master list of reviews kept on this site. I will also link to my own review in postings on various forums and sites, as I deem appropriate. Currently, I publish all my reviews on my own website (www.flashlighreviews.ca) and on candlepowerforums.com (user: selfbuilt).
- If I encounter any problems with the light, I will let you know in advance so you can respond to these concerns before I post the review.
- I will advise you when the review is online. With your consent, I may update my review text to include your comments on specific points, but only at my discretion. You accept that I have the final say on all my review text.
- You accept that the review will be my honest opinion, and that while I strive to accurately represent information about the product or materials being reviewed, no guarantees are made as to the accuracy of the information, and you will not hold me liable in any way for damages, consequential or otherwise, that result from your participation in the review process.
- Review materials become the property of the reviewer and will NOT be returned. I do not ask for any other form of compensation for the review.
- I will add an acknowledgement to the review that you provided the sample for review, but that all opinions contained within the review are my own.
- I will make every effort to get the review done as quickly as possible, but you acknowledge that there are other demands on my time, and that no guarantee can be made as to how long it will take.
- I will use my standard battery of tests developed in the other reviews that I have posted online, although I reserve the right to decide which tests are posted and in what format.
- You may link to beamshots and runtime graphs from my reviews posted online, as long as you inform me ahead of time, and appropriate credit is given.
If these Review Terms and Conditions are acceptable to you, I would be happy to consider reviewing your light. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further.
Note that these Review Terms and Conditions are effective immediately, apply to any and all samples and materials sent, and override any previous agreements, verbal, written, or otherwise. I reserve the right to change these Review Terms and Conditions at any time and without notice.
TRANSLATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I maintain copyright control over my reviews in the public domain. I do not allow unauthorized duplication, in whole or in part, of any of my review material (text, images, logos, etc.).
In an effort to encourage the wider dissemination of my flashlight testing findings, I am willing to provide non-exclusive licenses for foreign translations, under certain terms and conditions.
- I provide only non-exclusive licenses for foreign language translations of my reviews, for posting on the Internet.
- The licensee is responsible for all costs associated with the translations of my reviews.
- The licensee may hold the copyright for the translated material.
- I retain the copyright for my original English language reviews, including and all text, images, logos, etc.
- If the licensee makes copies of my copyrighted review images for local Internet access, they agree to not make any modifications to them.
- My translated reviews must be posted in a special forum or subsection of the licensee website, separate from any sales or advertising material. Review text must not be altered to support any promotional purpose (including, but not limited to, any manufacturer, dealer, group, website, etc.).
- All translated reviews must include a link to the original review at candlepowerforums.com or on my flashlightreviews.ca website.
- Copies of the translations will be provided to me, upon request.
- If at any time the licensee seeks to sell the translations for a profit, royalties will be negotiated with me.
- I will make a reasonable effort to inform the licensee about new reviews and any important changes to previous reviews, but can make no guarantees.
- If any of these terms are violated, I reserve the right to revoke the license at any time.
If these Translation Terms and Conditions are acceptable to you, I would be happy to consider providing a non-exclusive license for you to translate my reviews. Please contact me at email@example.com to discuss further.
Note that these Translation Terms and Conditions are effective immediately, apply to any and all license agreements, and override any previous agreements, verbal, written, or otherwise. I reserve the right to change these Translation Terms and Conditions at any time and without notice.
Unfortunately, my flashlights are expensive to feed with all the runtime tests I perform. I don't accept any payment for any of my flashlight reviews, but I will gratefully accept donations to my Paypal battery fund. Your contributions will go toward helping defray the costs of creating all my detailed reviews.
Thanks for your contribution!